Chris Williams, chief cybersecurity architect at Leidos Health, based in San Diego, offers an action plan for dealing with cybersecurity crises in hospitals and health systems. He writes: “When a cyberattack happens, staff, hospital leaders will need a plan of action to deal with a potentially chaotic situation. In general, the recovery process will take place according to the following sequence, starting with the initial report”:
- “Identification of the crisis and activation of crisis processes.
- “Allocation of outside resources to support crisis operations.
- “Investigation and containment of the cyber intrusion or malfunction.
- “Preparation to rebuild and restore IT capabilities.
- “Closure of critical cybersecurity gaps if during a cyber incursion occurred.
- “Establishment of interim IT capabilities.
- “Achievement of full operating capabilities for IT.
- “Implementation of long-term cybersecurity improvements.
- “Resolution of regulatory and legal consequences.’’
To read his full article on hospital cybersecurity crises, please hit this link.