Herewith six steps that hospitals can take to deal with difficult, defiant doctors.
1. “Seek out a clinical champion” to “engage both the heads and hearts of fellow docs so that they are hit with the reality of the problem.”
2. “Establish a common purpose and vision.”
3. “Engage other doctors to develop the intervention and implementation strategy: Hospitals should start off small, and make it easy at the beginning.”
4. “Communicate, communicate and communicate: Hospitals must create plenty of opportunities to talk with their physicians….”
5. “Identify barriers: Seek out any potential hurdles that might get in the way of your efforts, and determine how to overcome them….”
6. “What‘s in it for me? Tune into what makes such efforts meaningful for physicians. People are resistant to loss, not change, so try to mitigate the perceived loss.”