President Obama is promoting the Healthcare Payment Learning and Action Network, a wide-reaching, public-private collaboration meant to speed up the transition to value-based payment models.
To facilitate this collaboration, the network will fulfill the following roles, according to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and as summarized by FierceHealthcare.
- “Serve as a convening body to facilitate joint implementation of new models of payment and care delivery.
- “Identify areas of agreement around movement toward alternative payment models and define how best to report on these new payment models.
- “Collaborate to generate evidence, share approaches and remove barriers.
- “Develop common approaches to core issues such as beneficiary attribution, financial models, benchmarking, quality and performance measurement, risk adjustment and other topics raised for discussion.
- “Create implementation guides for payers, purchasers, providers and consumers.”
The American Hospital Association (AHA) and some other industry groups back the project.