A new Institute of Medicine report says that hospitals can deliver services much faster, and with quality improvements, without adding much to costs.
Among the recommended strategies:
- Matching supply and demand through continuing evaluation.
- Immediately determining need when the patient inquires about services.
- Learning when the patient wants to come in, and what kind of care is desired.
- Offering need-tailored, technology-enabled alternatives to clinic visits, when appropriate.
- Formal planning for patient surges.
- Constantly assessing changing circumstances.