Cooperating for better care.

Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council

Tag Archives

Pa. hospital mortality rates fell for most conditions



Downtown Pittsburgh.

The Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council, an independent auditing agency  funded by state government, reported that mortality rates for 10 of 16 medical conditions fell  at hospitals statewide during a five-year period ending in 2014, reported The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

The largest decrease was in the dangerous blood disease septicemia, which decreased by about one-third to 11 percent in 2014 from 17.7 percent in 2009.

The council also reported that hospital readmission rates within a month of discharge from the hospital  fell for several conditions, including stroke, congestive heart failure and managing heart attack with prescription drugs and other noninvasive means.

The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania  said the results reflected the hospitals’ quality-of-care improvements, reported the paper.

But, the council said, the mortality rate from two conditions increased. The biggest increase was  in treating heart attack by implanting a stent,  up to 1.8 percent in 2014 from 1.4 percent in 2009. The other  increase was  for low blood pressure and fainting, which rose to 0.4 percent from 0.2 percent.





Study details Penn. hospitals’ ‘super-utilizers’


The Pennsylvania Healthcare Cost Containment Council reports that 3 percent of patients hospitalized in Pennsylvania in fiscal 2014 were “super-utilizers” — admitted five or more times in a year. Those 21,308  patients accounted for 11 percent of total admissions and 14 percent of hospital days. Those 21,308  patients accounted for 11 percent of total admissions and 14 percent of hospital days.

Michael Consuelos, senior vice president of clinical integration for the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania, told The Philadelphia Inquirer that the report was “no surprise for us folks who work in the quality improvement arena.”

The paper said: ”He said super-utilizers were often people with complex needs and limited access to primary and specialty care. The degree to which behavioral health was a factor was one of the more striking aspects of the report, he said. That illustrated the need to address the social determinants of health …{such as} poverty – and better coordination of mental and physical care.”

”Consuelos said some health systems were experimenting with putting mental-health and medical providers in the same office.”



Contact Info

(617) 230-4965

Wellesley, Mass