Anthem President and CEO Joseph Swedish talked at the America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) Institute & Expo 2017 about affordability, access and care quality as the healthcare sector continues to be churned by unprecedented change.
Research has shown that providing better care at a lower cost is “truly an achievable goal,” Mr. Swedish said, and he outlined the strategy that the huge insurer is taking to reach it.
This includes, as summarized by Healthcare Dive:
1. Promoting consumer choice and market competition
2. Simplifying the healthcare experience
3. Supporting partnerships in all levels of government
Mr. Swedish says that Anthem expanded “very aggressively” in the government sector after purchasing Medicaid provider Amerigroup.
4. Converting volume to value.
Anthem is now “paying 59 percent of reimbursement to the provider community through value-based care models,” he said.
5. Addressing the impact of chronic disease in our society
6. Supporting clinical innovations
Mr. Swedish cited Anthem’s recent creation of an innovation studio to better understand customers’ needs, how to model innovations applicable to them and how to bring them to the market rapidly. An example: The studio’s initiative called “What’s My Status?” This sends updates to members about their claim status and data on their healthcare spending.
7. Leveraging big and deep data and technology
“This will reset the playing field between patient and doctors,” he added. “It’ll make them [doctors] a whole lot more capable.”
To read more, please hit this link.